In the middle of a reading the other day, it dawned on me that mediumship is often like playing charades with Spirit.
Spirit Communication Sounds Like…
- Instead of telling me their name, Spirit often gives me the number of syllables in their name or they may give me a similar name (e.g., Spirit’s name is Iris Anne. I receive Rosemary. Notice both have 3 syllables, both are a flower followed by a common name.) Although I always assume first name, sometimes spirit throws me a loop by giving me the number of syllables in a middle or last name.
- Instead of telling me how they died in words I can understand (e.g., heart attack), my chest hurts with an intensity that literally takes my breath away.
- Instead of telling me they were buried with military honors, I receive the words, “21 gun salute”.
- Instead of telling me their name, they reference a popular children’s book that has a character with the same name.
- Sometimes I’m given one word, which I can’t associate with anything else. (e.g., brown). O-kaaaay. Is that your hair color? Favorite pair of shoes? Last name? ….?
- Sometimes specific information is given that I know has significance, but just doesn’t make sense to me. Sometimes I can’t even take a stab at trying to interpret the clues or sometimes my attempt at interpreting the data results in a mistranslation.
Can You Repeat that in English, Please?
I love working with your loved ones in spirit. Actually, it’s my favorite part of my job. However, sometimes, it requires a lot of mental gymnastics to try to discern what exactly Spirit is trying to communicate because it’s not as clear as a conversation that you and I are able to have using our spoken words.
Translating Spirit Communication to English
To make your reading flow easier, I have to interpret, translate, and extrapolate. Your loved one may give me the word “purple”, give me a feeling of happiness, and show me a picture of a woman in a dress at a funeral. I may interpret the data points as Spirit trying to convey to me how much they loved seeing you at their funeral in your favorite purple dress instead of bowing to the social funeral norms of wearing black. All of this information is received in the span of seconds and my interpretation has to happen just as quickly. If I don’t understand the clues, I ask for clarification, but even with Spirit’s attempt at providing me with information to help me properly interpret the data provided, I may misinterpret the information I receive (e.g., I might assume your loved one was in the casket in THEIR favorite purple dress instead of you wearing purple to your loved one’s funeral). However, as a sitter, you may be able to correct my interpretation of the facts presented and explain that YOU wore a purple dress to your loved one’s funeral because it was a shared favorite color with the deceased.
This is why it’s so crucial that you are engaged in the process of communicating with your loved ones. If something truly doesn’t make sense, no problem, let me know! The information may make sense later, or I may have translated something completely wrong. However, if something makes sense to you, it’s important that you let me and your loved one know that you understand the information. Your loved one’s energy connects with me more fully when I’ve translated information properly and you understand the evidence that Spirit has provided. Sometimes I feel Spirit basically giving me an “atta girl” or doing a little “happy dance” when you understand what they are trying to communicate and sometimes I receive a sense of frustration from Spirit when I just can’t understand what they’re trying to communicate.
Spirit really does want to communicate with me, so they can communicate with you. I’m just a tool to allow them to achieve what they REALLY desire, which is to communicate with you.
Remember that mediumship is a lot like playing charades with Spirit. And just like charades, two people might use very different methods of communicating information. However, if you’re looking for the information to be presented in a very specific way, you may be disappointed. In an effort for sitters to be comforted and satisfied with their readings with me or any medium, I counsel sitters to be open to the possibilities. Instead of being adamant that the only way you’ll believe your loved one is present is for the medium to be able to tell you your loved one’s first name, be open to receiving other evidence that might be more esoteric, such as your loved one’s favorite food or the middle name of your son (who has the same middle name as your deceased loved one).