This blog begins our weekly blogging routine. We hope you enjoyed our daily blogs January 1-16 and hope you will check back every Wednesday going forward for the latest installment of the Eclectic Horizons Blog.
If you are interested in developing your intuitive or psychic abilities, most classes and instructional programs recommend meditation. At first I was overwhelmed by the word “meditation”, because I didn’t really understand what it meant and the mechanics of how to do it. I thought if I were to meditate “properly”, it meant I would need to invest a significant amount of time, in the lotus position, burning incense. I learned that the act of meditation is very individualistic. Of course there are some guidelines that you might want to employ, but luckily for me, my preconceived ideas (e.g., time, lotus position, incense) didn’t have to be part of my experience.
General meditation guidelines include:
- Close your eyes or focus on an object.
- Breathe—Take several deep breaths to start with and then focus on a regular, relaxed breathing cadence.
- Clear your mind.
- Ask a question and then allow thoughts to enter your mind without judgment.
- Meditate consistently (time of day and regularity). Consistency will make the practice of meditation more comfortable, easier, and more productive.
You choose where, when, and how. I actually use different meditation techniques for different purposes throughout my day:
- I meditate in the morning sitting at a table or my computer to connect with Spirit.
- I do 1-2 unstructured meditations during the day, lying down, to just decompress from the noise and stress of my day.
- At night, I listen to a meditation CD as I’m falling asleep.
Of course this is my optimal meditation schedule. Honestly, like many of you, it’s hard to stick with a routine consistently. However, when I honor myself by honoring my meditation practice, I find that I am calmer and my connection with Spirit is clearer.
As you learn what form of meditation works for you, you may also discover that you naturally go in and out of meditative states constantly throughout the day. Embrace these when they happen and enjoy just being in the moment. Even 15-30 seconds will ground and center you rapidly. Whether you want to develop your psychic or mediumship abilities or you just want to be happier, I recommend you make a commitment to meditation in 2013.
Please share YOUR experience with meditation below.