Does Your Psychic Need Formal Training?
Some professional psychics and mediums have completed formal psychic development training whereas some professionals choose not to pursue formal training of any kind.
Does it matter if the professional you retain has received a formal education in psychic development?
YES! Training is Important
My perspective is that just as you want your doctor, lawyer, accountant, mechanic, chiropractor, acupuncturist, massage therapist, and any other service provider you retain to have formal training, you want your psychic to have taken formal training.
First, a recap on terms.
- Psychic – Psychics connect with your energetic aura and use “the Clairs“ to translate information received.
- Mediums – Mediums are a type of psychic. Mediums communicate with Spirit.
- Spirit – I define “Spirit” as any entity not on our earthly plane (e.g., people/animals who have passed, angels, spirit guides, etc.).
- Training, Development, Education – For the purposes of this post, all of these terms basically have the same meaning.
- Formal – Implies a structured or methodical approach to learning.
- Informal – Implies an approach of randomly learning about topics of interest.
Formal Psychic Education
Although you’re probably not going to find a degree in intuition, psychic studies, or mediumship at a college, there are LOTS of formal psychic development alternatives. Formal training might include on-line or in-person classes that are instructor-led. Classes might be ad-hoc or a part of a structured curriculum geared toward certification.
Whether someone has been seeing Spirit since childhood or chosen to develop psychically as an adult, taking formal training to guide this work promotes the effectiveness and accuracy of the professional and ensures the safety of both the sitter and the reader.
Why is Formal Psychic Development Training Important?
- Formal education provides an opportunity for the student to ask questions and gain clarity regarding topics that are presented.
- Formal education presents the material in a logical, comprehensive fashion. Basic fundamentals are taught that allow the developing psychic to build upon.
- Formal education allows the student to be presented with topics that may not initially be of interest or even in the awareness of the student, to allow the person to delve into whether or not the topic is of interest or value.
- Formal education should include a discussion of reading ethics, client boundaries, potential business issues /concerns, and self-care.
Informal Psychic Training
I also feel informal education is important. Examples of informal education include:
- Self-directed on-line learning
- Roundtables and Facebook Groups of colleagues
- Short lectures and workshops at metaphysical fairs
- Guidance from Spirit
No Psychic Training
Although neither formal or informal training are required to use your psychic skills or work with Spirit on your own, I recommend you take advantage of both formal and informal psychic development training for the reasons outlined above.
However, if you desire to become a professional psychic or medium, you should be committed to completing formal coursework and informal continuing education. To offer professional services (for a fee or free of charge) without training is like operating a motor vehicle without a driver’s license. Sure, you might be able to accomplish the task, but you also might risk both your personal safety and the safety of the general public.
Eclectic Horizons Education
Kent and I have taken numerous instructor-led classes. We have both earned psychic and spirit mediumship certificates from The Aspen Program for Psychic Development. We’ve also attended workshops and completed training taught by psychics and mediums around the world. In addition to the structured coursework we’ve completed, our education has been augmented by our spirit guides directly and during sessions with mediums regarding our psychic development. Kent’s guide Maitland worked with us to create the material for our class “Channeling Demystified” while at the same time teaching Kent how to trance channel. We continue to expand our awareness through classes, roundtables, books, and guidance from Spirit.