Do It Yourself (DIY) Spirit Communication
Today’s post is geared toward people who desire to communicate directly with Spirit. I am honored to work with you to communicate with your loved ones in spirit, but I also encourage you to communicate directly with your deceased loved ones, if that is your desire.
Spirit Communication Barriers
In my experience, there are typically two barriers to successful spirit communication: fear and doubt.
The basis of fear is very personal and can have a lot of different roots. Here are a couple common fear-based reasons:
Fear related to spirit communication can be based on a lack of knowledge
- Many times in life we fear the unknown, because we don’t know how to anticipate the outcome. We want to prepare ourselves for the experience, but we are unable to do so, because we don’t have personal knowledge of what will happen, therefore, we can’t predict what to expect. One way to counteract this fear is to learn about and vicariously experience the outcome through the writings of others. Blogs like ours or books on the topic of psychic development can aid in this endeavor.
Spirit communication fear can be based on religious teachings or Hollywood dramas
- Some people fear communication with spirit because they are concerned that they will inadvertently communicate with or “wake up” the devil or another dark entity. I want to be clear on this point. In my practice as a medium, I don’t feel there are dangers in communicating with spirit. But I do think that just as in your physical life you establish boundaries with people, you should establish boundaries with non-physical entities. Spirit communication is safe. It is not demonic and a non-corporeal entity can’t take over your body without your permission. You are always in control. Be very clear regarding with whom you desire to communicate. My perspective is that spirit communication should be an exclusive ‘invitation only’ party versus allowing any random entity to communicate with you. There are a variety of methods, e.g., working with a gatekeeper, communicating through your spirit guides, maintaining angelic protection, stating intentions, etc. that you can set boundaries with spirit and ensure you have an effective spirit communication experience.
The other common barrier to communicating with spirit on your own is doubt. Like fear, the specific reasons you may experience doubt are very personal, but here are a couple reasons you might doubt your connection with spirit:
Spirit Communication is subtle
- We’ve written about this numerous times. Yes. There are times that Spirit might get your attention by saying your name so you can hear it with your physical ears, dropping an apport into your lap, or visually appearing in front of you. But for the most part, Spirit will use the Clairs to communicate with you. To understand what to expect, you may want to read about how to develop psychically or take psychic development classes to understand what to look for and be aware of. Understanding how to receive spirit communication using the Clairs and learning how to practice psychically to heighten your awareness, will prepare you to receive communication from spirit. Just keep in mind that each person’s experience is going to be unique.
Imagination and creativity
- Because spirit communication is generally subtle, it is sometimes difficult to discern between your own analytical mind and communication from spirit. I feel this is particularly difficult if you are too vested in the outcome of the communication and want to control the communication instead of allowing it to flow in whatever direction Spirit desires. When I feel the communication from Spirit isn’t clear or I am uncertain whether I can trust what I’m receiving, I first try automatic writing. If that doesn’t work for you, I recommend you solicit feedback through a third party. Use your session with a medium to validate the messages you received on your own to build your confidence and diminish your doubt regarding your individual spirit communication.
Conquering Both Fear and Doubt
The only way I have found to dispel fear and doubt in my own life is to address both head on.
My experience is that fear festers into something completely unmanageable and usually wildly impossible if you allow it to take up residence in your mind. So, instead of allowing fear to fester, take action:
- Learn more about psychic development by reading and communicating with others who are on a similar path.
- Use your analytic skills to disprove every fear that pops into your head.
Doubt can only be dispelled through concrete evidence, which can only be gained through experience. You can read about someone else’s experience, but it’s going to be more powerful if you have first-hand knowledge of an event and own your own memories upon which you can draw the next time doubt strikes. Dispel doubt through action:
- Learn how spirit communicates using the Clairs.
- Develop your sensitivity by using the Clairs in your daily activities.
- Work with a friend to practice clairalience. Close your eyes and have your friend put a spice under your nose to smell. Try to identify a) what the spice is and b) what memories are tied to that spice in your mind. E.g., Cinnamon is an easy one to start with. Most people can easily identify the scent of cinnamon and who doesn’t love a cinnamon roll? Maybe your grandmother used to make cinnamon rolls for you as a treat when you were a child. As you develop your physical sense of smell, your psychic sense of smell will also grow stronger.
- Practice clairaudience in your back yard or on an airplane. Sit quietly with your eyes closed and just listen. Can you isolate individual noises? Can you hear the words that are being spoken close to you and at a distance from you? Can you identify what object is creating the noise you hear? Open your eyes after several minutes and validate the sounds you heard.
- Claircognizance is harder to practice, but you can train yourself to become more aware. Tell yourself you know the outcome of something that can easily be validated. E.g., who will win a sporting event, high / low temperature of the day, etc. Practice saying, “I know the outcome of _________. The answer is__________.” Don’t allow yourself to think. Check the actual outcome after you receive your answer psychically.
- Clairgustance isn’t a clair I find overly useful, but it can be developed in much the same way as clairalience. Close your eyes. Work with a friend to feed you different foods. Identify the substance that is put into your mouth. Try to focus purely on taste instead of the smell or texture.
- Practice clairsentience with a friend. Close your eyes. Have your friend lightly touch the inside of your non-dominant arm (between your wrist and elbow) with an object. Identify the object. You can either BECOME the object, by putting your attention into the object, or sense the object purely through touch.
- Practice clairvoyance by looking at a photograph with your physical eyes for a few minutes. Then close your eyes and visualize the picture in your mind’s eye (aka third eye, pineal gland). Orally describe in detail everything you see in your mind’s eye.
Spirit Communication Available to All
Although some people are more sensitive and more adept at communicating with Spirit, anyone can learn to communicate with a dead loved one, Spirit guide, or Angel.